Thursday, 4 October 2012

The Much Larger Board Of Many Ping Pong Balls


Some folk have more patience than is average.

If I gave you 512 ping pong balls would you think “I could drill 5 millimetre holes in those and illuminate them”?

Once you have got all 512 balls lit you need a means of controlling them as a dot matrix and the microcontrollers coding to make things move in a pretty way. Oh, and you would need to make the printed circuit boards too as such things aren’t readily available and a host of other things we won’t go into here such as the wiring.
Luckily some folk are made of sterner stuff than I. I give you The Much Larger Board Of Many Ping Pong Balls



  
The thing that stands out for me is when you read his blog post about the making of this, he is 15 years old. When I was 15 I couldn’t have spelled microcontroller never mind programmed one, I still can’t as it happens.

If you feel adventurous he even sells kits http://www.dashroom66.com/catalog

Posted by John




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to give us your thoughts.