Monday, 12 March 2012

Is it really POP art or just led light sculpture?


If you've looked at our website you may have noticed that we describe the 3D Names In Lights as "Pop Art". To be frank this is partly about SEO; nobody else makes anything quite like our light sculptures (at the time of writing, unless you know different), so optimising pages for our friend Google presents us with some problems.
So, back to Pop art, the name given to British and American versions of an art movement that drew inspiration from sources in popular and commercial culture. In particular the use of advertising imagery; the taking of corporate branding and making it art.
Fast forward to 2012 and it turns out that Andy Warhol was quite right about us having 15 minutes of fame although he could never have anticipated the full extent of self-promotion becoming the norm.
The term pop art may not even be relevant any more when so much great art is generated by advertising.
So, are Names In Lights really pop art? That's not for me to say, though they do present the opportunity for interior branding, if that's a desired effect. Nor do I really mind; it's a creative experiment in SEO.
While I was writing this I remembered that I did once venture into a sort of "pop art cum Sgt Peppers psychedelica" style for a cause poster, so I rummaged and found a copy. Now that I've found it I'm kind of reluctant to put it up, (for various reasons) but I will.

Quiggins Liverpool

Perhaps you know the story, my memory of the details is sketchy, to say the least.
Leave a comment if the fancy takes you.
Posted by Jill



1 comment:

Feel free to give us your thoughts.